The main goal of WP2 is to take the scenarios defined in WP1 forward to the succeeding WPs through resource assessment and definition of the array layouts and the parameters in play for the array optimization. It focuses on the hydrodynamic interaction between the individual devices in the array, how this affects the resource, power performance, cost uncertainties and environmental impact.
The specific objectives of this WP are:
• To assess the capabilities of available tools for the evaluation of device interactions and their effects on power production for the scenarios identified in WP1.
• To carry out a detailed resource assessment for the scenarios and define the geometrical parameters which can be varied within each of the identified scenarios?
• To provide a “handbook” describing the steps in the hydrodynamic array evaluation to be carried out for the identified scenarios, allowing determination of the relevant ranges of the geometrical parameters describing the layout of an array.
• To provide and/or describe the tools necessary to evaluate the device interactions within an array and their effects on the power production for a given range of the parameters used for the description of the geometrical layout of the array (serving as the modules receiving input and delivering output for WP7).
• To provide quantification of cost for the devices going into an array, and the costs dependency on the parameters describing the array layout within the identified relevant ranges.
• To evaluate uncertainties related to the resource description, and subsequently the power production, and its dependency on the parameters describing an array layout within the identified relevant ranges.
• To evaluate environmental impact of an array layout on the hydrodynamic environment, and its dependency on the parameters describing the array layout within the identified relevant ranges.
1. Assessment of capabilities of available tools
2. Pre-evaluation of array layouts, identified key parameters and their relevant ranges
3. Algorithms providing effects of array changes on performance
4. Algorithms providing effects of array changes on economics
5. Uncertainties and environmental impact dependencies on array changes